Friday, April 4, 2008

'Don't expect to see much. This is not the Great Barrier Reef.'

Well, that's what I was told when I talked to a man on the Cottesloe Beach the first time I went there. It still bugs me when I think of it.

But of course, he is not alone; I know people who think this way: If I want to see marine life, I have to go to Ningaloo or the Great Barrier Reef. So, while I'm saving up to go there, I won't bother go diving or snorkeling here. There's nothing here in Perth.

Well, of course, the Cottesloe Reef is not 'Great Barrier Reef II'. And it is not 'Ningaloo Reef II' either. And it is different from the beaches on Rottnest Island too. But I really believe that the Cottesloe Reef is special and enjoyable in its own way.

I am thankful I live so near to Cottesloe. So I can keep going there every weekend. And every time I go there, I see different things on shore and underwater. That's what attracts me there. I just won't know what I will see (or not see) until I set my foot on the shore and until I hit the water.

Of course, the Cottesloe Reef is not at its best every day. Sometimes, I see lots of marine creatures wherever I turn. Sometimes I don't. The marine animals there just don't wait around for divers and snorkelers. They just carry on with their lives. That's so natural; that's fine with me.

I haven't been to the Great Barrier Reef or Ningaloo Reef. But I believe all marine life is admirable whether they live just in our backyard or in some world famous spots. I mean, for God's sake, they are LIFE! Not some plastic toys floating around or some robots crawling on the sea floor!

And that brings me to this: One thing I really hope to achieve with this blog is to show people who don't know it that even in our own backyard, ie Perth beaches, there are some interesting marine life waiting to be explored and admired. Well, just because you can't go to some world famous diving spots, it doesn't mean you have to give up the joy of exploring the underwater world. If you are already doing that, good on ya! See ya underwater!

No comments:

Followers