Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wobbegong on South Cottelsoe Reef

I went snorkeling yesterday at South Cottesloe. Bright midday sunlight was helpful. I could see some fishes although photographing them was still tricky.

What did I see? Red-lipped morwongs, tarwhines, herring cales, toadies, banded sweeps, and a few others that I can't remember. But the special find is a carpet shark, or wobbegong. Well, it hid itself beneath a thick layer of wireweeds in water that was less than two meters deep.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any good photos of it because the fast-waving seagrasses and the strong waves just were helping. But the creature must be at least a meter long!

Until I get another chance to bump into one again, I can only show you what it looks like on an information signboard at the South Cottesloe Beach.



The South Cottesloe Reef almost never stops giving me surprises!

By the way, if you're not familiar with the four seasons in the southern hemisphere, it's now winter in Australia and the water's really, really COLD!

No comments:

Followers