Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Blue Layer - Sea lizard

Wow! What a surprise. I went beachcombing today at South Cottesloe (my favorite beach) and found a sea lizard washed ashore. The sea lizard is part of "the Blue Layer" (MESA's webpage). Now I have met four (dead/dying) members of the Blue Layer.


This is how it looked like when I found it. I read that it lives its life upside down, like a violet snail does. And I suspect the blue round thingies are its eggs.


I turned it and took another shot. (The animal was about 5 cm in length)

The thing (or one of the things) about the sea lizard that I find amazing is that it can eat up the blue bottle's tentacles and use the stings as its own!

10 comments:

ria said...

Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed reading your posts about your shore trips.

A few of us do a similar thing for Singapore's shores and it's nice to see what others find on their shores.

You sure have cool stuff on your shores!

Thank you for sharing!

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks Ria! Glad to know that you like my blog. I am aware of the cool creatures on the Singaporean shores too.

Mosura said...

I scrolled down to see the pictures first and thought, "WOW" then I looked up and seen that you wrote the same :-)

That's another animal which has long been on my "want to see" list.

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

I have to admit I am lucky!

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

By the way Alan, do you know what species it is?

Cheers

Mosura said...

No - haven't got a clue really but having a quick look there seems to be two similar looking species, Glaucus atlanticus and Glaucilla marginata.

Snail said...

Is there anything molluscs can't do?

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James said...

These are a nudibranch sub species I believe. You can see them on the sea slug form - http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=glauatla

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi James,

I am still a bit unsure which of the two closely related species is this one.

Thanks for the info.

Followers