Sunday, September 21, 2008

Compound ascidians on South Beach, Fremantle (2)

The cloudy skies, wet weather, plus strong winds means that I can't go snorkeling today. So I decided to write another post about my beachcombing finds on the South Beach of Fremantle. (My last post about these creatures which I found on South Beach is here.)

I still don't know anything about their scientific names but their beautiful colors and patterns lured me into taking shots of them!




This one is about 20 -25 cm across.










This one is just around 5 cm across.


This one must look really nice in a super-macro photo. Unfortunately, because of the film of water covering the creature, I couldn't get an in-focus close-up shot. (I should have brought some tissues with me - No, I won't use my shirt.)

Well, those are the photos of compound ascidians - each animal being a living, colored (colorful?) "neighborhood" with hundreds of residents living really really close together.




Well, this one is a solitary ascidian, unlike the ones shown above.
In these photos, you can see the two siphons that the animal uses to take in and expel water. This sea squirt is about 10 cm across. There are pieces of broken shells stuck on it too.

P/S:
I realized quite early in my blogging days that it's impossible to learn everything under the skies.
And blogging shouldn't turn into a chore.

So, I sometimes just post about animals without even trying to find out what species they are. Some of these animals that I try not to worry much about include the different species of sea stars, wrasses, corals, seaweeds, and sea squirts - species that are often not easily identified because of the great extent of variations even in the same species. I suppose for now it is sufficient to just know that they exist, and that to a limited extent, I've made simple observations of them.

3 comments:

Snail said...

Ascidians --- a seriously under-rated group of organisms. They deserve to get more coverage!

If blogging feels like a chore (and it will sometimes), just remember that there's a host of readers out there who are enjoying looking at the world through your eyes. (Or camera lens.) And remember --- knowledge is cumulative.

Mosura said...

More wonders of the deep. They are amazing. I'm still hoping to find one (or should I say some) around here one day. Having a name is good but not as important as just enjoying the world around us for what it is.

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks Snail. Thanks Alan.

Followers