Sunday, September 7, 2008

Crabs with lost limbs

I went back to the South Cottesloe beach again today when the tide was low. I explored the part of the rocky shore that was usually inundated and simply can't be accessed easily.

As I was taking photos of the crabs, I noticed that more than half of the crabs that I saw have lost at least one of their limbs. That's interesting.

Crab 1: Lost one limb on the left side of the body
(It was upside down when I spotted it.)





Crab 2: Lost one limb on the left side and two on the right side!



Crab 3: Lost one limb on the right side.


Crab 4: Lost half of the limbs it had! And for your information, it was still moving and alive - though I wonder how much longer it could stay that way.



I have seen crabs so many times on the beach but only started to notice the ones with lost limbs at Coral Bay. I first noticed that some crabs were so slow to flee and so easy to photograph - soon I realised that those were the ones which have lost one or more of their limbs. The next few photos were taken at Coral Bay.

Crab 5: Only one limb on the left side was missing.


Crab 6: The big claw was gone.



Crab 7: Also the big claw was missing.


Well, next time, when you see a crab on the beach, check if their limbs are all intact. And if they have lost a limb or two, it probably won't be too long before they regenerate new ones. Some websites and this one say that it is common for crabs to self-amputate their limbs to get away from predators and the lost limbs can be regenerated!

Wow! How ignorant of me - I always thought that only sea stars and lizards can do that. Obviously both crabs and lobsters can regenerate a limb too.

By the way, even though they were physically impaired, they still looked beautiful.

3 comments:

Mosura said...

Crab 4 is a bit of a worry.

Spiders can also regenerate if they lose a limb but only if they lose it while young. Each time it moults the limb will be a little larger.

Stick insects can do the same and not doubt some other insects too.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Chai
Very colourful aren't they?
Cheers
Denis

Sharif said...

hmm...nice again!

Followers