Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wading in shallow water

I had some fun time at the South Cottesloe shore yesterday afternoon when it was low tide.




Many seaweeds were either exposed or near the surface. It got so shallow that taking photos of the algae became easy. And the shore looked so different from what I have always known. The algae have added colours to the shore.



Some green algae (possibly sea lettuce) and some fluffy-looking algae.





Sea grapes (Caulerpa racemosa) - these are really soft and nice to walk on :)


I didn't try walking on these - some calcified algae.


Sea tulips - more reddish than the orange ones that I came across so often on the shore. And by the way, for a few weeks, I haven't seen many sea tulips on the beach. They just seem to stop getting washed ashore.


The Waratah anemones on the underside of a big rock.


No idea what kind of sea anemone this is - but it looks nice.

3 comments:

Mosura said...

Love those sea tulips.

Not currently having any snorkelling gear I always try to time my visits to the beach with the low tide. Here's a great tide chart site

Denis Wilson said...

Very interesting creatures you have there. Are Sea Tulips algae, or marine animals? I have never seen anything like them.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Alan,

I have started checking the weather conditions (wind, rain, sea temperature) since months ago. I only realised it's good to check the tides time too recently. Yes, now I also try to coincide my visits with the low tides, except when it is too early or late sometimes.

Hi Denis,
Sea tulips are animals in the big family of sea squirts - so you will find two siphons for taking in and expelling water on these animals. If you see one on the beach, poke your finger into it and it should squirt some water. That's what I always do with sea squirts I find on the beach :) (with a stick, not my fingers) While other sea squirts are not stalked, sea tulips are, which makes them look like a stalk of tulip - not a very pretty one though.

I find it amusing that sea cucumbers, sea anemones and sea tulips are animals, but sea lettuce, sea grapes and sea berries are algae.

Chai

Followers