Sunday, December 14, 2008

South Cottesloe Beach - keyhole limpet

When I got to South Cottesloe beach with the earliest bus this morning, it was already one and a half hours past low tide. Still, I saw some interesting creatures while exploring the algae-covered reef although I still think that I would have seen more if I had arrived earlier.

Anyway, this morning was the first time I saw a keyhole limpet. Basically it looks like a sea slug carrying a shell. The shell looks like a limpet's but it has a hole in its apex, from which a siphon sticks out. I think scientists consider them false limpets.




I tried to find another one on the reef but had no luck - rather typical of my animal encounters at South Cottesloe. Anyway, I made a short clip too.



Note:
* I have removed the sound because it was just some random noises.
** No snail or blogger was harmed in the making of this clip.

3 comments:

Kevin Zelnio said...

Very nice post! I love the video you took. I'll have to bookmark this page for our upcoming inverts class.

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. And glad to know that you find it useful :)

Robert said...

We saw sea slugs on Sunday too!

I drew a comic about it:

http://tedprior.livejournal.com/358376.html

Followers