Monday, January 5, 2009

South Cottesloe Beach - Sea hares and "spaghetti"

Ever since I found the spot where a few sea hares (Aplysia oculifera) always hang around (see here), I visit them every time I am on the shore at low tide.





On 14 Dec, I saw not only the animals, but also some spaghetti-like stuff near them.




The "spaghetti" - which I suspect to be their eggs.

About the color variation: Could it be due to different stages of development?

Sea slug forum says that the color of the egg mass of Aplysia oculifera is bright yellow when freshly laid and changes to brown prior to hatching. Another website says that the eggs of the Californian sea hare (Aplysia californica) starts off yellow and change to brown after 8-9 days.

2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Good on you for your powers of observation.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks, Denis.
I hope those sea hares won't get upset that I take too much interest in their lives!

Followers