Wednesday, January 14, 2009

South Cottesloe Beach - Tubeworm


I found this pretty tube worm, Protula species, which anchored itself in a crevice in the reef. The water was probably one meter deep.


The calcareous tube that housed the animal's body was not visible. The bright red and white fans (about 2-3 cm across) were its tentacles.

I did see it retract its tentacular fans twice but I was not fast enough with my camera. When the animal retracts its tentacular fans, it will seal off its tube with an operculum (like a small lid).

3 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Lovely colours.
Cheers
Denis

Robert said...

Hey,

You haven't blogged in a while, I hope you're OK.

Taking some time of snorkelling?

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Robert,

Thanks for asking. I'm fine. Just hardly have time for a hobby these days. Too busy with my study. I am now entering the last 6 months of my PhD - which means poor sleep quality, too much work, too little time, and lots of stress too. And I get very grumpy too! Anyway, I will go to Rotto for my summer school this Sunday. I will be there for 4 days. I should be able to find some time for swimming/snorkeling then.

Followers