Sunday, February 15, 2009

Rottnest Island - fan corals

The first time I saw fan corals (Mopsella klunzingeri?) was at the Penguin Island; the second time, Green Island.

I mentioned in my last post that there were underwater overhangs and arches at the southern side of the Green Island. That is where the fan corals live.



Anyway, as I was still a little too timid to dive down to check them out (What if I got trapped down there!?), I decided to only take photos from a distance. So I didn't check whether there were brittle stars in the fan coral branches, like those at the Penguin Island.



Also, I found some fan corals that live amid a large mat of (I think) zoanthids, or colonial anemones if you like.

3 comments:

ria said...

Oh wow! The colours are glorious!!

Yes, it's important to be safe :-)

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Chai
Once again, great images, and nice clear water too.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Rottnest Island is really a great place to go snorkeling - abundant marine life and clear water - too bad I can't go every week.

Followers