Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rottnest Island - Little Salmon Bay (2)

Well, back to the Rottness Island "series" again.


A male western king wrasses (Coris auricularis) about 30 cm in length


Another male western king wrasse of a similar size.
Look at the red/pink on their cheeks, I guess that's why they are also called the blushing wrasse.


This one is a female. Female and juvenile western king wrasses are known to set up cleaning stations on the reef. They help clean fishes that visit them of parasites.


A male and a female hanging out in the same spot

2 comments:

Robert said...

Oh! Heaps of updates since I last looked!

I especially like this set!

Jess and I are heading to Rottnest soon, hopefully we get to see all of these guys too!

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Robert,

I am sure you will! My current favorite is the Green Island.

Cheers,
Chai

Followers