Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rottnest Island - Little Salmon Bay (3)

I certainly didn't (and couldn't) photograph all those fishes that swam past me at the Little Salmon Bay. But I did get some close-up shots of two fishes that I wanted a lot - the crested morwong and the blue-spotted goatfish.



Western crested morwong (or magpie morwong)
(Cheilodactylus gibbosus)
Such a beautiful fish!
I have seen it in Cottesloe, Penguin Island, and the Marmion Marine Park. But I was never able to take a good shot of it till now. They have large rubbery lips, like other morwongs.


This is the best photo I ever took of the blue-spotted goatfish (Upeneichthys vlamingii).
The blue spots on the head and the body are so easy to see. It is also called the red mullet because it turns bright red after death.



Moon wrasse (Thalassoma lunare)
The colorful fish gets its name from the new-moon shape on its tail fin.



Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus)
If you have read my previous posts about stripeys, you will surely know I just love this fish! Watching a school of stripeys moving around on the reef - and swimming after them - was so much fun.


I have to admit this is not a very good photo. Anyway I suspect these are juvenile western king wrasses (Coris auricularis).

No comments:

Followers