Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rottnest Island - Little Salmon Bay

When I was at Rottnest Island last week, I snorkelled at three different locations: Parker Point, Little Salmon Bay and Green Island. In my next few posts, I will be showing you photos I took at the Little Salmon Bay.


This underwater plaque marks the beginning of the Little Salmon Bay snorkel trail


The shallow reef where pink corals (Pocillopora damicornis) grow


More colonies of pink corals - no idea why a lot of them look a little too pale. Dead? Sick? Or just natural color variation? Or possibly a different species of reef-building coral?


Pink corals usually live in tropical waters. However, thanks to the warm Leeuwin Current, the otherwise temperate waters of Rottnest has become habitable to the pink corals.


A close-up of the pink corals

4 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Chai
I love the idea of the Little Salmon Bay snorkel trail. A great idea, by the sounds of it.
Nice little stiped blue fish in the last image, too.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hey Denis,

By setting up the snorkel trail, the island authority certainly made the beach more user-friendly and interesting to visit.

But even though there were such trails in two of the beaches I visited, I never really followed the plaques much. I just kept getting distracted by some interesting fishes that swam past and followed the fishes instead.

Cheers,
Chai

Anonymous said...

I tried to follow the plaques but the boys were under the sea. :( But there were nice fish, and lots of them! :D

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

I guess the plaques are not that user-friendly after all : ) But still you saw lots of nice fishes - that should make up for it.

Cheers,
Chai

Followers