Tuesday, March 17, 2009

South Cottesloe Beach - Other invertebrates

14 Mar 09

Some other colorful marine life that I saw:




While you will often see the khaki sponge at South Cottesloe, there are other sponges in really nice colors, like pink or bright yellow too. Some of them just look like something that you will see in an art class. The arrow above points at some colonial ascidians.



Since the first time I spotted these colonial ascidians, I noticed that these creatures are not that rare on the South Cottesloe Reef.

In fact, I also kept seeing the two creatures below a few times during today's snorkel. I first thought that they were rare on the South Cottesloe Reef - but I was obviously wrong. I am thinking whether I should just forget about taking their photos the next time I see them.



Chromodoris westraliensis
This nudie is about 5 cm in length.


A colony of zoanthids (Zoanthus praelongus)

2 comments:

ria said...

Wow! I just love the invertebrates that you see on your shores! Thanks for sharing!

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Ha! I had never paid much attention to the invertebrates until I started taking photos underwater. They are easy to photograph as they usually don't move or not too fast, and they can look so amazing!

Followers