Monday, March 2, 2009

South Cottesloe Beach - Southern eagle rays

Last Saturday was my lucky day for snorkeling. I saw the southern eagle ray (Myliobatis australis) each time I hit the water. That means I saw one for every hour I spent underwater!

The first one:


I followed this one when I saw it swim past me.




Then, for some unknown reason, the fish went down and stopped in a pit in the reef. It's then that I saw the trevally that was tagging along with the eagle ray (white arrow). The eagle ray rested for a minute or so in the pit and then it started to flap its fins again and take off.


And so the trevally continued to tag along. This is the first time I saw a trevally following an eagle ray.

And the second one:



This one swam too fast and didn't seem to want to hang around.
I noticed that sometimes, when you swim after the eagle ray, it will just swim in a big circle and if you wait, you will see it get near or come back again.

The third eagle ray:





When I first saw it, it was swimming over the seagrass and it was impossible to take any reasonably good photos. So I waited and after a while, it swam over the sand and I was rewarded with some good shots and a good view of the fish.

2 comments:

Steve Reynolds said...

Hi Chai
These last 2 blogs are fantastic work! I love them all. Cheers
Steve

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks Steve.

The eagle rays don't look that fantastic on the blog.

But you know very well meeting them in person and swimming after them is always a magical moment.

Chai

Followers