Tuesday, April 7, 2009

South Cottesloe Beach - Ascidians

Some solitary ascidians (sea squirts) that I photographed last weekend. I still don't know there name. They have dark spots on their whitish-yellowish body, looking quite different from the red ones that I have often seen before this. They are about 10 cm plus in height/length.



The animal would close its siphons every time my camera got near.


In this photo, you can see two tube worms (Protula species) (blue arrows) near the sea squirt.


This one is covered in some red algae. I have seen some sea squirts that are almost smothered by algae , with only their siphons exposed.

1 comment:

DIRECT ART AUSTRALIA said...

A friend of mine suggested to take a look at your site coz of great stuff you have here. I must say your blog is very interesting.

By the way you might be interested to join DIRECT ART AUSTRALIA'S monthly photo contest. Winners will have the chance to turn their photos into hand-painted portraits. You can check out their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70645093608

Followers