Sunday, April 19, 2009

South Cottesloe beach - Australian spotted jellyfish

18.04.09


It was a cloudy day. Underwater, visibility was still bearable. But it would have been greatly improved if there was more sunlight.



My most exciting encounter was the Australian spotted jellyfish, Phyllorhiza punctata. I don't see them every time I hit the water. And I saw three today.


This is the small one that I saw. The other two were about three times bigger than this one.


I experimented with different ways to take their photos. The photo with a blue background (left) was taken near the surface. The other photo (right) was taken from below using the surface as the background.



Taking these photos from below was more challenging because I had to dive down to the bottom and take the shots when I was rising to the surface. (I would have held on to some seagrass or kelps if there were any.)

6 comments:

ria said...

Wow, that is a beautiful jellyfish! I have this morbid fascinating for these stinging animals. Thanks for sharing!

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

No worries!

chris said...

Cool looking jelly

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks, Chris.

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Chai
sorry to have missed your blog for a while.
Computer crashed, and died. Back on line now.
Good to see you have still been busy.
you made the Jelly Fish look very nice, almost friendly - well almost.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Denis,

Sorry to hear about your computer. Hope you didn't lose any important files.

As for myself - I doubt if I can still blog as actively as I did - I am going to try harder at writing up my thesis : )

Glad to know that you like the jellyfish photos. I have seen also hundreds and hundreds of them in the Swan River these few weeks.

Cheers,
Chai

Followers