Monday, April 27, 2009

South Cottesloe - Jellyfish (Pseudorhiza haeckeli)

27.04.09

Despite the advantage of not having lots of swells, visibility still wasn't very impressive today. The water was reasonably calm. So I was thankful I don't have to spend too much energy fighting the current.

I saw the "regulars" - western striped trumpeters and sea trumpeters (in big schools, as usual), silver trevallies, old wives, tarwhines, red-lipped morwongs, banded sweeps, toadies, some leatherjackets (which I find rather difficult to photograph) ... and three sea hares and three octopuses.

But the highlight of today's snorkel had to be this pretty jellyfish which I don't always see!

Net-patterned jellyfish (Pseudorhiza haeckeli)
The animal is about one foot long. I found it over the shallow reef located about 100 m or so from shore. This jellyfish is a rarer sight compared with the Australian spotted jellyfish (Phyllorhiza punctata). And I have never seen more than one each time.






My earlier encounters with this jellyfish - here, here and here.

4 comments:

Duncan said...

Beautiful photos Chai..

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Thanks, Duncan. Beautiful animal too.

George said...

Just stunning! It's getting cold in the water now. I don't seem to last long without a wetsuit.

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hey George,

I agree completely that snorkling in cold water is truly uncomfortable. That's why I am thinking of taking a snorkeling hiatus. Thus a blog hiatus...

Chai

P/s: well, after all, I must really really start working hard on my writing.

Followers