Monday, April 13, 2009

South Cottesloe - Old wives and catshark

12.04.2009

I
really wasn't in my best shape today when I hit the water. First, I just couldn't clear my right ear and it hurt every time I dived down. And second, my left calf hurt when I woke up in the morning and it still does. Fortunately, the pain in my calf went away when I was snorkeling.

Old wives (Enoplosus armatus)




I saw a school of probably 50 of them about 100 m from shore. There were some adults but most of them looked like juveniles. The water was about 4 m deep. I was quite excited as this was the first time I have seen such a large school of old wives.

Black-spotted catshark (Aulohalaelurus labiosus)






And I saw a black-spotted catshark - almost a month after the first time I saw one.

I just lost sight of a leatherjacket that I had been going after when the catshark glided into view. It could be the same one that I saw last time (?) considering its similar size. I wasn't far from shore, about 50 m; it wasn't too deep either, perhaps 1.5 m.

Anyway, I followed the catshark for quite a while, from the seagrass bed to the algae-covered reef.


And in the end, the catshark hid itself inside this hole and just won't come out. After waiting for 5 minutes, I swam back to the shore.

2 comments:

chris said...

The Old wives are beautiful fish. Ive never seen them before.

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

They certainly are beautiful. Even though not very colorful.

Chai

Followers