Friday, August 14, 2009

South Beach, Fremantle - Goose barnacles

"Goose barnacles acquired their common name from a weird medieval myth. According to this myth, stalked barnacles attached to floating tree trunks were the fruit of the trees themselves, and had the tree kept growing,
each fruit would have developed into a sea bird called the Barnacle Goose!!"

(source: http://www.reef.edu.au)


Last
Sunday, having reached a point when I just couldn't take another look at my thesis anymore, I went for a walk on the beach. It has been a long, long time since I last did this.

I was quite excited to find a log with dead goose barnacles on it. The log, at least five meters in length, must have been washed ashore for quite some time. The goose barnacles were all dry and dead.









Last year, I saw a log covered in live goose barnacles on the South Cottesloe beach. Alive, these creatures look really bizarre!
I must be lucky to find them, considering that a log covered in goose barnacles is not an everyday sight on the beach.

3 comments:

glhopman said...

I have to say, i like the looks of these better dead than alive. they have a creepy look when they are alive

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

I agree. The first time I saw them (the live ones)I was so drawn to photograph them, but at the same time thinking they could easily be something that comes out from a sci-fi or horror movie.

Chai

Steve Reynolds said...

Thanks Chai
Welcome back to the "Bloggers' Circle" : )
Steve

Followers