Monday, December 28, 2009

John Point - Big, orange nudibranchs!

27 Dec 09

"...They are so gorgeous it's a crime!"
Today I snorkeled at John Point, Cape Peron, for the second time this month. This time I visited John Point with Jude and Truc. It was an excellent snorkel with good visibility underwater and fantastic finds - like these big, orange nudibranchs that Jude spotted. (I must admit Jude seems to be better at spotting interesting creatures than I do!)



We saw two of these pretty nudibranchs - Ceratosoma brevicaudatum. They are not little like the nudibranchs that I have seen before (HERE, HERE and HERE). These guys must be 10 - 15 cm long! They are so gorgeous it's a crime!


Another interesting find is this prickly leatherjacket which I have come across only a few times so far. An unusual-looking guy with tentacles all over its body. Check out other photos of the prickly leatherjacket that I took off Cottesloe HERE.

Honestly, I have never been disappointed whenever I visited John Point. There are just so much to be seen even in shallow water. like the big, orange nudis. And the water seems to be calm all the time. By contrast, the Cape Peron Snorkeling Trail doesn't seem that interesting in my opinion. John Point is definitely highly recommended if you want to see interesting marine creatures and don't bother to go too deep.

So, is anyone interested to start a blog documenting their underwater encounters at John Point?

7 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Chai
I can hardly volunteer, but if you or your friends do it, I will read it to see more of these beautiful creatures.
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Denis,

I wish I could do it but it will be too much effort considering the spot is not accessible by public transport and it takes 45 minutes to drive there.

Blogging about John Point's marine creatures will be a fantastic and rewarding project people who live near it can undertake!

Cheers,
Chai

glhopman said...

Chai,
Those are gorgeous nudibranchs, they remind me of some sort of candy, although I am sure they don't taste like it.

Steve Reynolds said...

Hi Chai
Nice nudi & fish photos. I must show you some of mine too.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Reynolds said...

Hi again Chai
I've now posted 4 more of my photos at http://picasaweb.google.com.au/stevereynolds600/SteveSUnderwaterPhotos. There are 2 nudi photos and 2 fish ones (incl. 1 of a leatherjacket). Check out the last 4 photos there for comparison with your nudi & leatherjacket photos. Cheers
Steve

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Steve,

I think we have the same nudibranch. About the leatherjacket, yours looks like a rough leatherjacket whhile mine is a prickly leatherjacket. Have you got any photos of the prickly leatherjacket?

Great photos in your album. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Chai

scorpiotechnologies said...

wow what a great nudibranchs.. amazing
Maritime Engineering Courses

Followers