Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sydney snorkel - Camp Cove

20 October 2009
I went snorkeling at Camp Cove on the last day of my stay in Sydney. It's a fantastic snorkeling spot, especially off the right end of the beach.

Cuttlefish seem to be a common sight here. I must have come across ten or more of them, in just an hour, mostly in shallow water of 2-3 meters. Watching a cuttlefish swim and change its color was fun! And these guys were not too shy. They didn't dash off immediately when I approached them.



Besides cuttlefish, there were lots of other interesting invertebrates at Camp Cove, e.g. jellyfish, sea anemones, fan worms, zoanthids and sea stars.
And an exciting find was this little nudibranch (Ceratosoma amoena) which I found on a huge rock off the left end of the beach. It was probably grazing on the algae-covered rock.


Of course I saw a good variety of fishes at Camp Cove, including a shy blue groper that quickly swam off when I approached it. But an amazing encounter was seeing a school of flutemouths resting at 3-4 meters. I first saw six flutemouths off the right end of the beach, and then another six when I swam out from the left end of the beach.


******************************************************************************

Final note:
What
a relief! I could finally finish up my Sydney snorkel series. The last two months have been incredibly busy for me and I realized how painfully slow I have been in updating this little blog. Hopefully things will improve after New Year.

9 comments:

glhopman said...

Chai,
great shots! It looks like your trip to Sydney was great! I was able to visit the Dallas World Aquarium a couple of days ago while visiting my sister in Texas, I doubt that they enjoyed it as much as I did, but I made my family stare at cuttlefish for quiet some time.
Are you still busy with finishing up your doctorate degree?

ria said...

What great photos! Cuttlefish are my all time favourite sea creatures. And not just deep fried either. Haha. The do look nicer when very much alive, especially in your photos!

Denis Wilson said...

Great series, Chai.
I noticed that you had "slowed down" on the postings.
Hope you are well.
Cheers
Denis

James Reimer said...

Hi Chai - is it possible for you to send me that picture of the zoanthid (or any other recent ones?) - I am going to be spending some time in Aus, and would like to see some "live" pics to get me acquainted.

cheers!

James

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Gerrit,

Yes to your question. Still waiting for examiners' reports and still doing additional experiments to satisfy the reviewers of a paper I am writing : {

(Is it ever going to end?)

Cheers,
Chai

Steve Reynolds said...

Hi Chai
Great cuttle photos, & that nudi too. You do a great job as a snorkeller. And you now have 20 followers to my 1 or 2 : (
Cheers
Steve

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the compliment. I count myself lucky to be in the right place at the right time to see all those amazing marine life.

Cheers,
Chai

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Denis,

I am incredibly backlogged in my blogging. I still have photos from a few snorkels that I want to put up. And I have received information about some of my photos that I want to share on the blog.

Busy busy.

Chai

Anonymous said...

Hi Chai,

Was at Bondi yesterday and saw a nice big Cuttlefish which you might be interested in.

http://www.snrkl.com/tripreports/northbondi-nsw-australia

Regards,
Toby

Followers