Tuesday, January 5, 2010

South Cottesloe - Seadragon and squids

20 Dec 2009

The highlight of today's snorkel has to be the sighting of a common seadragon (or weedy seadragon) (Phyllopteryx taeniolatus). It drifted past in front of me when I was following a fish. (It's a matter of luck! ) Naturally I stopped going after the fish (which I now couldn't quite remember what fish) and followed the seadragon instead.

The seadragon is 20-25 cm in length and was drifting over seagrass at the depth of about 3-4 meters. It was quite well-camouflaged over the segrass and I lost track of it couple of times. This is the second time I saw a seadragon off South Cottesloe. I saw my first seadragon near the end of the South Cottesloe groyne at the depth of 3-4 meters and over seagrass too. That was a day of even worse visibility underwater and I lost track of the seadragon very quickly and naturally no photos were taken.


Another interesting encounter is seeing a group of 15-20 little squids that are just several centimeters long when I was heading to shore.

It was quite shallow, perhaps 1- 1.5 meters in depth where I saw them. It was really difficult to get any good shots of them because of their sizes and poor water visibility near shore. I have no idea what species they are. Anyway they look pretty cute.

2 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Interesting creatures.
Loved the tiny hatchling Squids.
The Sea Dragon is wonderfully weird.
Good to see them like that.
Thanks
Denis

glhopman said...

Chai, Looks like a couple of great finds! I love that you can't remember the fish you were following, that shows what a great find the seadragon was

Followers