Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Underwater Sydney Project

I just read about the Underwater Sydney Project on Chad's blog (Adventurous Adventures: http://chadshen.blogspot.com/) and thought I should help spread the news too.

Do take a look at their website: http://underwatersydney.com.au/. It has some great marine life images and short, easy-to-read stories about marine life. In other words, even someone who doesn't know much about marine life can understand what it is all about. The project's founding partners are Sydney Aquarium Conservation Fund and Sydney Coastal Councils. The team running the website consists of both underwater and media experts.


According to their website, the project aims to "1) makes people love their own local marine life, 2) helps them get to meet it, and 3) inspires them to help protect it." Agreed. In fact, I believe many nature bloggers are contributing to these too, in our own ways.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement on their website:
"The biggest threat to the world’s marine environment is lack of awareness. People only protect what they know and love… and our oceans are out of sight, out of mind and out of luck. The marine world urgently needs a good publicist!"

Well-said!



8 comments:

glhopman said...

Chai,
this is a great website, thanks for sharing it. Also, if you ever get time I found a wonderful video on cuttlefish, it was produced by NOVA, I am not sure if you have heard of it but they make science programs for public broadcast here in the United States. anyways if you are interested, it is a great show
http://video.pbs.org/video/1150618835

glhopman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denis Wilson said...

Hi Tsai
Good to know you have a fellow snorkelling Blogger!
Cheers
Denis

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Gerrit,
I have heard of NOVA but not seen their cuttlefish video. Thanks, I will look it up!

Joe said...

Hey mate,

This is an awesome site - really love all your input on the Sydney snorkeling sites - i've been visiting all the places you went to last year and comparing notes and photos - if you ever come back to Sydney it would be awesome to do a trip together. btw what kind of camera are you using to get your shots?? and what are the best settings do you find?

Malaysian said...

Hi Chai cool blog...
do share with us ur dive report at www.malaysianunderwater.com

Dive safe!

regards
MUW

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi Joe,

I remember I have responded to your comment but I just noticed that it's not there. Anyway, I would love to go snorkeling and diving in Sydney again. Heaps of marine life to be seen. It will be fun to go together! I would love to find out about your favorite spots too.

The camera I am using is a Pentax Optio W60, compact digital camera. I just do as the user manual advises - I use the underwater mode. Also when I take photos I try to get as close as possible to the subject. This is especially important when the visibility is poor.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Chai

Tsun-Thai Chai said...

Hi MUW (which one of the MUW guys are you? One of the mods?),

Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog. Love to share some photos on MUW too. In fact, I just put up some photos that I had taken in TARP.

Cheers,
Chai

Followers